What is a Green Slip

Your motorcycle Green Slip is an insurance policy that provides compensation for other people injured by your motorbike or vehicle when you or the person driving your vehicle if the driver at fault in an accident. Green slips are only available in New South Wales – the National equivalent is Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance which generally is paid for when renewing vehicle registration.

Your Green Slip:

  1. DOES NOT cover you for personal injury if you are the driver at fault.
  2. DOES NOT cover damage to property or other vehicles.
  3. DOES cover other road users, such as drivers, passengers, pedestrians, pedal cyclists, motorcyclists and pillion passengers.
  4. DOES cover injuries caused by the use of a trailer.
  5. DOES cover your passengers.
  6. DOES provide cover 24 hours a day, Australia wide.

In an accident where you are injured:

  1. If you are injured in an accident caused by another driver, you can claim against their Green Slip insurance.
  2. Make sure the accident is reported to the Police in writing.
  3. Identify the vehicle at fault and find out their Green Slip insurer.
  4. If you know the vehicle’s registration number, contact the Roads and Traffic Authority on 132 213 to find out who that vehicle’s insurer is.
  5. Obtain a claim form from that insurer.
  6. The claim must be lodged as soon as possible within six months.

In an accident where other people are injured and you may be the driver at fault:

  1. Call the Police. Report the accident to the Police in writing immediately, no later than 24 hours after the accident.
  2. Notify your Green Slip insurer as soon as possible.

Wherever you live in NSW, your Green Slip will only cover your motorcycle if it is registered. If it is not registered you are personally liable for any injuries you cause in a motor vehicle accident. So always pay your registration on time.

More Information